2016 Non-Residential Title 24 Energy Code Updates
(Following is a partial list of the most significant 2016 changes to the California Title 24 Non-Residential Energy Standards.)
- Revisions to the mandatory requirements for metal framed and demising walls (§120.7(b)).
- Changes to the prescriptive envelope requirements (§140.3(a)).
- Revisions to the roof/ceiling insulation tradeoff for aged solar reflectance (TABLE 140.3 of the Energy Standards).
- Significant changes to the total skylight area requirement (§140.3(c)4).
- Revisions to the requirements for all fenestration alterations (§141.0(b)2A).
- Clarification and simplification of existing language; removing exceptions no longer relevant (§130.0 through §130.5 and §140.6 through §140.8).
- Reductions to lighting power density (LPD) values in TABLES 140.6-B, 140.6-C, and 140.6-G.
- Removal/addition of power adjustment factors (PAFs) (§140.6(a)2).
- Significant reductions in outdoor lighting power allowances (TABLE 140.7-A).
- Clarification and streamlining of alteration requirements, including addition of a new compliance path that allows compliance by reducing the existing lighting power. For indoor lighting, this path foregoes bi-level control requirements but is otherwise identical to the 85 percent or less of lighting power allowance path.
- Revision of the mandatory requirements for equipment efficiency in TABLES 110.2-A through 110.2-K of the Energy Standards.
- Interlock controls requirements when operable wall or roof openings are present (§140.4(n)).
- Revisions to fan control system requirements in TABLE 140.4-D of the Energy Standards.
- Energy management control system (EMCS) to comply with the thermostatic control requirements (§120.2(a)).
- Changes to the requirements for dampers installed on outdoor air supply and exhaust equipment (§120.2(f)).
- New section specifying direct digital controls (DDC) applications and qualifications (§120.2(j)).
- Revisions to the requirements for space conditioning systems with DDC to the zone level (§120.2(k)).
- New general requirements for pipe insulation (§120.3(a)).
- New definitions of electrical metering, service equipment, plug load, and low voltage dry-type distribution transformer are added to §100.1.
- Revisions and clarifications of service electrical metering §130.5(a), separation of electrical circuits in §130.5(b), voltage drop in §130.5(c), and circuit controls in §130.5(d).
New mandatory requirements for elevators, escalators and moving walkways (§120.6(f) and §120.6(g)).
Revisions to language and content to make §120.8 more clear.
(Excerpted from the CEC Title 24 website)